With a view to develop and improve the services provided by the Society to Thalassemia patients in order to achieve the highest level of quality services and satisfaction for Thalassemia patients in UAE, a grand brain storming sessions was held. Since nothing understands the patients but the patients themselves, hence in the auspicious presence of the patients, their fathers and mothers the brain storming session actively kicked off to identify their expectations for our services that can be provided to the patients in the future and how we can contribute in relieving their sufferings further. The society continuously aims to provide a high quality of life to the patients and in this session we collaborated and invited various doctors, Government officials and Thalassemia centers and hospitals to participate where the discussion tables were designated and where each table gathered information and placed ideas and suggestions through a board stand.
The thorough mutual discussion reached the following recommendations:
- Establish database for all Thalassemia patients in UAE to facilitate the communication process, thus identifying their needs and helping them faster.
- In addition, employment opportunities were also discussed in order to provide suitable work opportunities for Thalassemia patients.
- To encourage and facilitate the Thalassemia Centers to provide flexible treatment timings so that the patients don’t lack behind in their study or work scenarios.
- To approach and talk to some of the centers who are charging the patients for the transfusions in order to provide them the treatment facilities free of charge.
- Continue the Emirates Thalassemia Society’s project of essentially encouraging the youth at the secondary school level for an early medical test in order to avoid new born cases of Thalassemia.
- Work towards enhancing the community view towards the Thalassemia patients and confide in them in all the fields of life.
- Aim to fulfill the Emirates Thalassemia Society’s aim to offer the patients psychological support by encouraging them to participate in community events and social programs to boast their confidence and self-satisfaction.
- Organize periodical meetings two or three times on a yearly basis to facilitate and support the Thalassemia patients.
- Building new branches in all the emirates of UAE to provide convenient access and quick support to the patients.